Friday, July 24, 2009

A bit of reminiscence

In a discussion recently with my daughter the value of interpreting literature came up which called to mind a poem I wrote while a "mature" student at Texas State University in the 70's, pondering the decision of what I would choose as a major. Here it is with minor editing.

A Student's Dilemma

There is no mystery in government and history
Even physics bets the laws are set
But woe to the mind whose atoms blast unkind
As too much time is spent making literature rhyme.
One can find pain in that vein.

A lonely search to decipher what branch the author's perch.
Too many imageries casting hidden liturgies
Until a muddled intellect breaks down from conflict
Of emotions wrought for what the mind has sought.
It is not here in this place you are near

Or in that author you thought to bother.
No, the walk is drawn with plainer chalk
When tangible issues resolute become our main pursuit
Rather than chasing writ
Which but a few souls can truly interpret.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

This is a test to see if I can add a comment to my on posting.

Jennifer said...

Wow, Mom - what a thoughtful and engaging poem! You wrote that in the 70s? I can't believe I had not seen it before.